Perfect for campsites or off-grid living, the Functional Outhouse has a fully enclosed bench seat, a vent stack and a toilet seat. And of course, it wouldn’t be complete without the classic quarter moon embellishment on the door.
Looking for an off-grid toilet option that doesn’t involve keeping your bathroom inside your tiny home? Our Outhouse is the way to go. Find a spot away from your house, dig a deep hole, then set your Outhouse in its place. You won’t have to worry about odors in your home or camp. Need more reasons for choosing a working Outhouse? For starters, they require less maintenance than other off grid plumbing avenues. Composting toilets need to be emptied on a frequent basis. Dry flush toilets utilize foil bags that also need scheduled removal. With a Working Outhouse, you can set it and forget it.
This smaller sized project is a great project for a novice carpenter interested in learning post and beam framing techniques. The small size makes the project manageable whether you are building from the do-it-yourself plans or getting a complete pre-cut kit.
• Crescent Moon Door – This solid door is built 2-inches thick with a crescent moon cut out. Heavy-duty door hinges and a turn-latch allow this door to open and close seamlessly.
• Built-In Seat – We include a built-in bench, finished with a traditional toilet seat for comfort.
• Vent – Used to keep things fresh and reduce odors.
• Hopper – It’s a large funnel that is placed under the built-in bench. This makes sure your waste gets directed into your hole.
• Rough Sawn Hemlock framing treated sill plate, CDX plywood decking, pine board and batten siding, and a 29-gauge corrugated metal roof in Evergreen all come standard with this package.
Pick a Type
Our Outhouse is built with a 4’x4′ footprint. Choose between a complete outhouse kit, or a fully assembled structure. Kits come with everything needed to build the outhouse, including fastening hardware & step-by-step assembly instructions. Kits ship within the Continental United States and parts of Eastern Canada. We also build fully assembled structures and ship those up to 300 miles away from our factory in South Londonderry, Vermont.
This Outhouse comes with default options, as outlined on each specification sheet. However, we offer upgrades that allow you to enhance the beauty and strength of your building. As you go through the configurations the defaults are pre-selected or choose different siding and roofing options.
• Strengthen – Consider upgrading your roof rafters to 16” on center if you live in an area that gets unusually heavy snowfall. The way the outhouse is designed now, it can handle snow from typical New England winters.
• Personalize – While our Outhouse is quite a beauty with its standard pine board and batten siding and green metal roof, you still might want to tweak it a bit to suit your tastes. We offer a variety of pine and cedar siding options. Corrugated metal, asphalt shingles, clear poly panels, and cedar shingles or shakes may be used for the roofing.
Many of our customers love adding Clear Poly panels to their roof. These panels provide natural light, eliminating the need for lighting during the day. Placing the outhouse under a tree keeps it shaded. One of our favorite siding choices for the Outhouse is Western Red Cedar Shingles. This siding choice emits a pleasant and neutralizing odor and is naturally resistant to rot and pests. If you want to present your outhouse in a whimsical and quaint light getting Red Cedar Shake roofing will create that ambiance, is a lower price point than the shingles, and still provides the same benefits as the cedar shingles.
•Add-Ons – If you are going to stick with the metal roof, consider including a premium trim package. Enclosure strips and metal trim that matches your roof color, finishes off the top of your building with a polished look. Our Cedar Tool Box would make a nice storage container for holding extra rolls of toilet paper and hand sanitizer.
The complete shell package boasts the full, weather tight, un-insulated envelope of this design.
Depending on the floor plan and design, Complete Shell Packages frequently include doors and windows. Options for upgrading these features may be available in the configurator below.
Each design has a default set of specifications. You can configure your project to your needs below!
Our Pre-Cut Kits ship nationwide and contain everything you need to build one of our fabulous designs. JCS has solved all the headaches of finding the correct angles and the aggravation of starting from scratch. The kit is well laid out. The detailed step-by-step format of the plans, complimented by the color coded cut list and exploded view, make assembly of this kit a fun and satisfying project. The organization, plans and thought that have gone into the preparation of our cottage kits will result in a quality finished product.
Basic carpentry hand tools will be needed with our precut lumber packages. Our tech support staff is incredibly helpful.
(1) Enclosed Plywood Outhouse Bench, (1) Toilet Seat, (1) Outhouse Hopper, (1) PVC Vent Pipe, (1) Vent Boot
Choose your Skids, Joists, Decking & Insulation
Choose your millwork such as doors and windows
Insulation and Framing Options
Style your building with our many options
Options for colors and materials to beautify your cottage
Rafters, Sheathing, and Insulation to finish your cottage
Configure yours now! Price below updates with selections.
Your saved cart has been updated