The Smithaven is the perfect choice for use as a workshop, artisan studio, backyard office or a stylish storage shed. The extra windows bring in lots of natural light while the dormer adds extra headroom to the space. This quaint cottage stands out with its windowed dormer and asymmetrical roofline. The dormer also makes this tiny cottage feel larger than it is. The arched door gives this pre-built tiny cabin tons of charm and character, making it one of our most beloved designs.
The Smithaven is often used as an accessory dwelling unit, treehouse or artist’s studio or office. The open floorplan provides homeowners flexibility for various layouts. If you are looking for something to be used year-round, we offer many options to customize your building to fit all of your needs. The building detailed in these small rustic cabin plans can also be delivered fully assembled as a partially finished tiny house, three season summer rental cabin, or a year-round four-season cottage.
When dreaming about the small cottage lifestyle, you may imagine tranquil surroundings that bring back memories of a simpler way of life. Cottages are adorable structures that simply emanate warmth and comfort. They make charming guesthouses or backyard retreats. When the primary purpose of your small cottage is a vacation home, the intimate space is ideal for couples looking for peaceful weekend getaways or families seeking quality time and bonding. At Jamaica Cottage Shop, we think that a having a cabin in the backyard can be just as rewarding as having one in the backcountry. Home office or bunk house for guests? Maybe both? Turn your four-season retreat into a combined guest house and workspace for hobbies such as pottery or jewelry making.
Choose Your Size & Type
Start by choosing your size and preferred format. We offer complete shells, Three Season, and Four Season structures as pre-cut kits. Fully assembled builds are available to customers whose building sites are located within 300 miles of our factory. Pick from the following:
• Complete Shell – With this package you get everything needed to set up an uninsulated Smithaven shell. Floor system, wall and roof framing, siding, a metal roof, door, and windows come with this package. This option works well for basic storage or as a small livestock shelter.
• Three Season – For those who want to tighten up their building or get it ready to be insulated in the distant future. This package includes an insulated floor, wall and roof vapor barrier, and solid pine roof sheathing in addition to everything that comes with the shell.
• Four Season – Get comfort year-round with our fully insulated option. The floor and roof are insulated with fiberglass insulation and vapor barrier. The walls get rigid foam board insulation. The interior is finished off with shiplap pine ceiling and wall sheathing. Additionally, double pane windows and an insulated door are included.
Each type of building comes with default options that match our specifications. However, if you want to personalize your building, we have made that process a breeze. As you go through each step, you’ll be able to pick and choose which options you want.
• Strengthen – Some options are intended to boost the ruggedness of your already robust building. For example, you can increase the weight rating of your floor and roof. Treated floor systems are also ideal for geographical locations that are prone to damp ground. Western Red Cedar siding naturally repels many insects too.
• Personalize – If you want to style your building so that it blends in with your natural landscape, or match existing buildings on your property, we have a plethora of siding and roofing options. We think Western Red Cedar Shingle siding paired with an Architectural Asphalt Shingle Roof would enhance the modern look of this design.
• Add-Ons – Any of our weathervanes would look fantastic on this cottage. Install decorative wrought iron brackets to hold hanging flowerpots. Inside utilize peg-racks for hanging coats and bags. If you plan on using your Smithaven as a backyard art studio, why not add some roof flashing for a woodstove too?