Perfect for campsites or off-grid living, the Functional Outhouse has a fully enclosed bench seat, a vent stack and a toilet seat. And of course, it wouldn’t be complete without the classic quarter moon embellishment on the door.
Working Outhouse Features
All About The Working Outhouse
Looking for an off-grid toilet option that doesn’t involve keeping your bathroom inside your tiny home? Our Outhouse is the way to go. Find a spot away from your house, dig a deep hole, then set your Outhouse in its place. You won’t have to worry about odors in your home or camp. Need more reasons for choosing a working Outhouse? For starters, they require less maintenance than other off grid plumbing avenues. Composting toilets need to be emptied on a frequent basis. Dry flush toilets utilize foil bags that also need scheduled removal. With a Working Outhouse, you can set it and forget it.
This smaller sized building is a great project for a novice carpenter interested in learning post and beam framing techniques. The small size makes the project manageable whether you are building from the do-it-yourself plans or getting a complete pre-cut kit.
• Crescent Moon Door – This solid door is built 2-inches thick with a crescent moon cut out. Heavy-duty door hinges and a turn-latch allow this door to open and close seamlessly.
• Built-In Seat – We include a built-in bench, finished with a traditional toilet seat for comfort.
• Vent – Used to keep things fresh and reduce odors.
• Hopper – It’s a large funnel that is placed under the built-in bench. This makes sure your waste gets directed into your hole.
• Rough Sawn Hemlock framing treated sill plate, CDX plywood decking, pine board and batten siding, and a 29-gauge corrugated metal roof in Evergreen all come standard with this package.
Choose Your Type
Our Outhouse is built with a 4’x4′ footprint. Choose between a complete outhouse kit, or a fully assembled structure. Kits come with everything needed to build the outhouse, including fastening hardware & step-by-step assembly instructions. Kits ship within the Continental United States and parts of Eastern Canada. We also build fully assembled structures and ship those up to 300 miles away from our factory in South Londonderry, Vermont.
This Outhouse comes with default options, as outlined on each specification sheet. However, we offer upgrades that allow you to enhance the beauty and strength of your building. As you go through the configurations the defaults are pre-selected or choose different siding and roofing options.
• Strengthen – Consider upgrading your roof rafters to 16” on center if you live in an area that gets unusually heavy snowfall. The way the outhouse is designed now, it can handle snow from typical New England winters.
• Personalize – While our Outhouse is quite a beauty with its standard pine board and batten siding and green metal roof, you still might want to tweak it a bit to suit your tastes. We offer a variety of pine and cedar siding options. Corrugated metal, asphalt shingles, clear poly panels, and cedar shingles or shakes may be used for the roofing. Many of our customers love adding Clear Poly panels to their roof. These panels provide natural light, eliminating the need for lighting during the day. Placing the outhouse under a tree keeps it shaded. One of our favorite siding choices for the Outhouse is Western Red Cedar Shingles. This siding choice emits a pleasant and neutralizing odor and is naturally resistant to rot and pests. If you want to present your outhouse in a whimsical and quaint light getting Red Cedar Shake roofing will create that ambiance, is a lower price point than the shingles, and still provides the same benefits as the cedar shingles.
•Add-Ons – If you are going to stick with the metal roof, consider including a premium trim package. Enclosure strips and metal trim that matches your roof color, finishes off the top of your building with a polished look. Our Cedar Tool Box would make a nice storage container for holding extra rolls of toilet paper and hand sanitizer.
Build Your Working Outhouse:
Click “Configure Now” to customize and add to cart.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
What is a Pre-Cut Kit? What is included in this package?
The Pre-Cut lumber package has all the framing members cut and ready for assembly. It includes siding, roofing, pre-dimensioned trim, and fastening hardware. Many designs also include windows and doors. The floor system, walls and rafters have all been cut, color-coded and part numbered. The detailed cut list coincides with the color-coded exploded view. The head scratching has been removed, the headaches of finding the correct angles and the aggravation of starting from scratch has all been simplified. The kit is geared to a do-it-yourself homeowner with beginner-to-beginner knowledge of carpentry.
Should I buy a Pre-Cut Kit or Fully Assembled Building?
We design our kits to be organized and easy to understand. If you have basic carpentry skills and are looking to save money, a kit is a great idea for you. We ship our kits all across the continental USA and part of Canada.
If you live within our Northeast delivery area, you are able to purchase many of our buildings Fully Assembled. You’ll save time and have the peace of mind that your cottage is being built by expert craftsmen.
What is a Complete Shell and What Comes With It?
A complete shell is an uninsulated building. As a kit, it includes everything required to assemble the building including hardware, precut framing, siding and roofing as well as doors and windows. Hardware, millwork sheathing and DIY plans have been enclosed. Each piece is color coded and part numbered. The exact itemization of what is inserted can be found on the specifications tab of the website for each product page design.
What is the difference between a 3-Season and 4-Season Insulation package?
3-Season –A three-season kit prepares the building for interior finishing. It includes the complete shell plus vapor barrier, solid roof sheathing and insulated floor system. A three season building seals the structure from humidity and moisture protecting from the environment, insects and rodents.
4-Season – Best for year-round comfort. The package includes everything a 3 season does with the addition of insulated thermal pane millwork, wall and roof insulation and pine interior sheathing.
Can I Customize My Building?
Yes! When you purchase your building, you have the option to pick siding, roofing, and flooring options to upgrade or modify your building. Read more about what options we offer.
If you are looking for some very special customizations to one of our buildings, our cottage designers can help. Contact our custom shop team to build a bespoke cottage.
How Can I Pay? Do You Offer Financing?
We accept Master Card, American Express, Discover Card and Visa, Cash, Personal Check, Financing, ACH transfers, Wire transfers, and PayPal. There are so many ways to purchase your dream cottage!
We also offer easy financing options, including a 50% now, 50% later option. See financing page.