Looking for a building with functionality and aesthetic appeal? The Sugar Shack covers both of those bases. Traditionally these buildings; with a functional cupola, are used in maple syrup production. Use ours to boil sap or as a stylish storage shed, barn or insulated cottage.
Sugar Shack Features
A traditional New England design, the Sugar Shack Cabin boasts functionality and aesthetic appeal. Sugar Shacks are traditionally used as syrup houses; a designated building to boil maple syrup. In the springtime a large cloud of smoke and steam can be seen rising high above a sugar shack. Whether you’re looking to use this building as a functional Sugar Shack, or are simply embracing the stand-out look, this design is an asset to any landscape.
Sugar Shacks are extremely versatile in terms of usage and our options range from 80′ to 800′ square feet. The standard option on this design includes a functional cupola, perfect for workshops, storage shed, playhouse, or pool house. It can also be customized with a variety of upgrades including several siding and roofing options, local artisan hand-crafted glass roundels, flower boxes, and weathervanes. Order a four-season Sugar Shack if you plan on using the structure as a guest-house or tiny home. Install a woodstove, composting toilet and solar package for off-grid living or install modern electrical, plumbing and heating options.
Choose Your Size & Type
When ordering your Sugar Shack first pick your size. This building comes in sizes ranging from 8’x20′ up to 20’x40′. Pre-Cut Kits ship anywhere within the continental United States and parts of Eastern Canada. Sizes 8’x10′ up to 14’x24′ may be ordered as a fully assembled project if the shipping address is within 300 miles of our factory in South Londonderry, Vermont.
• Complete Shell – This package includes everything needed to complete an uninsulated Sugar Shack. Treated sill plate, rough sawn hemlock wall and roof framing, Eastern White Pine siding, double doors and a corrugated metal roof come with this build. Some sizes include windows too. The standard cupola included has vents.
• Three Season – If you plan on insulating your building in a few years, or want it to be comfortable spring through autumn, then the three-season package is the way to go. This comes with everything that is in the complete shell plus a vapor barrier throughout. The roof includes solid pine roof sheathing for the vapor barrier to sit on.
• Four Season – For year-round comfort get a fully insulated building. The Four Season package comes with fully insulated walls and roof. Shiplap pine sheathing finishes the interior wall and ceiling. A 9-lite insulated steel door provides an energy efficient entrance. If your design includes windows, we upgrade those to double-pane insulated too.
*Note* – Kits utilize ridged foam insulation, so you can insulate the building from the outside. This allows the rough sawn hemlock post and beam framing to be exposed. Due to shipping restrictions, the walls in fully assembled buildings are insulated with fiberglass installed between the posts, then the sheathing covers up the framing.
Each Sugar Shack comes with default options that match our specifications. However, if you want to personalize your building, we have made the process a breeze. As you configure each building element, you will be able to pick and choose siding, roofing, and window options.
• Strengthen – Many of our buildings come with rafters placed at 24” on center. This placement is strong enough for long New England winters, but in some places, you may need a strong weight rating. You can upgrade your Sugar Shack to have 16” on center rafters.
• Personalize – Enhance the look of your Sugar Shack with various siding, roofing and window options. We offer pine or cedar siding choices. Roofing options include corrugated metal, architectural asphalt shingles, clear poly panels, and Western Red Cedar shingles or shakes. Need some inspiration for customizing your Sugar Shack? Perhaps consider upgrading to an Autumn Red metal roof and pair that with Adirondack live edge siding. If you are using your building for storage or living get a windowed cupola instead of a venting one.
• Add-Ons – For a polished finish, consider adding a premium trim package to your metal roof. Enclosure strips close up the gaps in the metal roofing rib pattern, and matching metal trim overlaps the fascia and shadow trim. To gain more storage or works space consider getting a side overhang, porch, or enclosure kit. This easy-to-build structures attach to the side of the building. You can potentially get one for each bearing wall.
Build Your Sugar Shack:
Select the options you’d like to see below and then click “Configure Now” to customize and add to cart.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
What is a Pre-Cut Kit? What is included in this package?
The Pre-Cut lumber package has all the framing members cut and ready for assembly. It includes siding, roofing, pre-dimensioned trim, and fastening hardware. Many designs also include windows and doors. The floor system, walls and rafters have all been cut, color-coded and part numbered. The detailed cut list coincides with the color-coded exploded view. The head scratching has been removed, the headaches of finding the correct angles and the aggravation of starting from scratch has all been simplified. The kit is geared to a do-it-yourself homeowner with beginner-to-beginner knowledge of carpentry.
Should I buy a Pre-Cut Kit or Fully Assembled Building?
We design our kits to be organized and easy to understand. If you have basic carpentry skills and are looking to save money, a kit is a great idea for you. We ship our kits all across the continental USA and part of Canada.
If you live within our Northeast delivery area, you are able to purchase many of our buildings Fully Assembled. You’ll save time and have the peace of mind that your cottage is being built by expert craftsmen.
What is a Complete Shell and What Comes With It?
A complete shell is an uninsulated building. As a kit, it includes everything required to assemble the building including hardware, precut framing, siding and roofing as well as doors and windows. Hardware, millwork sheathing and DIY plans have been enclosed. Each piece is color coded and part numbered. The exact itemization of what is inserted can be found on the specifications tab of the website for each product page design.
What is the difference between a 3-Season and 4-Season Insulation package?
3-Season –A three-season kit prepares the building for interior finishing. It includes the complete shell plus vapor barrier, solid roof sheathing and insulated floor system. A three season building seals the structure from humidity and moisture protecting from the environment, insects and rodents.
4-Season – Best for year-round comfort. The package includes everything a 3 season does with the addition of insulated thermal pane millwork, wall and roof insulation and kiln dried pine interior sheathing.
Can I Customize My Building?
Yes! When you purchase your building, you have the option to pick siding, roofing, and flooring options to upgrade or modify your building. Read more about what options we offer.
If you are looking for some very special customizations to one of our buildings, our cottage designers can help. Contact our custom shop team to build a bespoke cottage.
How Can I Pay? Do You Offer Financing?
We accept Master Card, American Express, Discover Card and Visa, Cash, Personal Check, Financing, ACH transfers, Wire transfers, and PayPal. There are so many ways to purchase your dream cottage!
We also offer easy financing options, including a 50% now, 50% later option. See financing page.