The elegant and practical Saltbox shed and cottage design is inspired by old New England architecture. With a longer pitch in the back, snow and rain slide off readily, keeping you dry as you enter. This open-ended design is perfect as a workshop, playhouse, backyard hangout, or a simple storage shed.
All About The Saltbox
A common finding all over New England, buildings with traditional Saltbox style rooflines are loved by many. What makes ours unique? Post and beam construction using true-dimensional lumber, gorgeous barn-sash windows, and heavy-duty solid pine doors. Corrugated metal roofing and Eastern White pine board and batten siding are also stand outs that show off quality. Most commonly the saltbox design is used as a backyard storage shed, playhouse, or livestock shelter (uninsulated shell).
If you want to use it as a backyard guest house, cottage or year round workspace we recommend getting it fully insulated with Four Season options. Default options provide you with our classic shed, or personalize your flooring, siding, roofing, windows, and doors with options to match your style.
Choose Your Size & Type
Start by choosing your size and preferred format. We offer complete shells, Three Season, and Four Season structures as Pre-Cut Kits. Fully assembled builds are available to customers whose building sites are located within 300 miles of our factory. Pick from the following:
• Complete Shell – With this package you get everything needed to set up an uninsulated shell. Floor system, wall and roof framing, siding, a metal roof, door, and windows come with this package. This option works well as a livestock shelter or basic garden and tool storage.
• Three Season –This package includes an insulated floor, wall and roof vapor barrier, and solid pine roof sheathing in addition to everything that comes with the shell. If you want to insulate later on, or just need comfort spring through fall, then this is a good option.
• Four Season – Get comfort year-round with our fully insulated option. The floor and roof are insulated with fiberglass insulation and vapor barrier. The walls get rigid foam board insulation. Then, the interior is finished off with shiplap pine ceiling and wall sheathing. Additionally, energy-efficient double pane windows and an insulated door are included.
Each type of building comes with default options that match our specifications. However, if you want to personalize your building, we have made that process a breeze. As you go through each step, you’ll be able to pick and choose which options you want.
• Strengthen – Our buildings are built to withstand harsh New England weather but offer options to increase its durability. This building defaults to joists and rafters placed at 24” on center, but you could upgrade to 16” on center to increase weight ratings. If your building site is placed in a damp area you might also consider opting for treated skids, or a completely treated floor system.
• Personalize – Oodles of options exist to fashion your storage shed or cottage just the way you’d like. We offer many all-natural pine and cedar siding options. Roofing choices include corrugated metal, Western Red Cedar shingles or shakes, and architectural asphalt shingles. Or bring in extra sunlight with a clear poly roof. The Saltbox would look killer with a Western Red Cedar shingle siding upgrade paired with a corrugated metal roof in Copper Penny.
• Add-Ons – Any of our weathervanes would look fantastic on this cottage. Install decorative wrought iron brackets to hold hanging flowerpots. Inside utilize peg-racks for hanging coats and bags. Plan on using your Saltbox year-round? We recommend upgrading to four season insulation to keep this building warm and cozy all year long.
Build Your Saltbox:
Select the options you’d like to see below and then click “Configure Now” to customize and add to cart.