The Nook is a popular sanctuary for anyone who enjoys the great outdoors and the comfort of a quiet cottage. The small interior can be used as a potting station or cabin, while the porch invites you to sit back, relax and enjoy the scenery.
All About The Nook
This cozy and charming Nook accompanied with its 4′ porch allows for ample storage space, a cove to pot plants, a small lounging area on the porch and much more. Place this shed or cottage near a pond or in your backyard to give you a personal getaway space for all your hobbies or just to escape the noise of everyday life. Spend your days prepping your plants and seeds for your garden inside this delightful backyard Nook. It compliments any property as a combination meditation room, nature observation area, yoga studio, or a study. Add a railing and Half Newell posts to the porch to give it even more charm.
It can be customized with a variety of upgrades including several siding and roofing options, local artisan hand-crafted glass roundels, flower boxes and weathervanes. Whether you use it as a garden shed, additional guest house space, children’s playhouse, or cold storage shed; the sweet cottage appearance will enhance the surroundings wherever you put it.
Choose Your Size & Type
Decide how large you want your Nook. We offer it in sizes ranging from 8’x10′ up to 8’x24′. Pre-cut kits ship anywhere in the continental United States and parts of Canada. If your building site is located up to 300 miles of our factory, it may be possible to order a fully assembled shed or cottage.
• Complete Shell – This package includes everything needed to complete the Nook. Hemlock floor system, rough sawn hemlock wall and roof framing, Eastern White Pine board and batten siding, a single pine door, barn sash windows, and a corrugated metal roof come with this build.
• Three Season – If you don’t want to insulate right away but would like the option to do so in the future, our Three Season buildings are a great choice. We make sure all of the stuff that is hard to install after the building is built, gets added. This includes floor insulation, vapor barrier throughout, and a layer of roof sheathing. Some order Three Season buildings when they need storage that is a bit more air-tight compared to a shed shell.
• Four Season – Those who plan on using their building as a backyard guest room, office, or tiny workspace, should consider ordering a Four Season building. These buildings are fully insulated with fiberglass insulation. Shiplap pine gets installed for the interior wall and ceiling sheathing. The door and windows are upgraded to energy-efficient, insulated varieties.
*Note – Due to popular demand kits are set up with the walls using ridged foam board insulation sandwiched between the siding and the interior sheathing. All of this gets installed on the outside of the frame, leaving the hemlock post and beam framing exposed. Fully assembled units are built with fiberglass insulation in the walls, and the interior framing will be covered up by the wall sheathing.
The Nook comes with default options that match the specifications. You are able to upgrade the flooring, siding, and roofing to different styles if you find that appealing. We have a rundown of popular customization options:
• Strengthen – The rafters in this shed get installed 24” on center. This placement is strong enough for long New England winters, but in some places, you may need a strong weight rating. You can upgrade your building to have 16” on center rafters. If you want to add durability to the floor system you can pick treated flooring options too, or splurge on the tongue and groove floor decking option.
• Personalize – If you want to change up the look of your tiny cabin or shed, we offer a large variety of options for doing so. Siding choices include pine and cedar varieties. Pick from corrugated metal, architectural asphalt shingles, clear poly panels, and cedar shingles or shakes for roofing. White Cedar Shingle siding looks incredibly fabulous on this little cottage. Choosing a muted metal roof color like Terratone would look sophisticated without being overbearing.
• Add-Ons – Any of our weathervanes would look fantastic on this shed. Install a flowerbox under the barn sash window and install decorative wrought iron brackets to hold hanging flowerpots. Inside utilize peg-racks for storing shovels, rakes, and hoes. If you plan on using your nook as a micro cottage why not add some roof flashing for a woodstove too?
Build Your Nook:
Select the options you’d like to see below and then click “Configure Now” to customize and add to cart.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
What is a Pre-Cut Kit? What is included in this package?
The Pre-Cut lumber package has all the framing members cut and ready for assembly. It includes siding, roofing, pre-dimensioned trim, and fastening hardware. Many designs also include windows and doors. The floor system, walls and rafters have all been cut, color-coded and part numbered. The detailed cut list coincides with the color-coded exploded view. The head scratching has been removed, the headaches of finding the correct angles and the aggravation of starting from scratch has all been simplified. The kit is geared to a do-it-yourself homeowner with beginner-to-beginner knowledge of carpentry.
Should I buy a Pre-Cut Kit or Fully Assembled Building?
We design our kits to be organized and easy to understand. If you have basic carpentry skills and are looking to save money, a kit is a great idea for you. We ship our kits all across the continental USA and part of Canada.
If you live within our Northeast delivery area, you are able to purchase many of our buildings Fully Assembled. You’ll save time and have the peace of mind that your cottage is being built by expert craftsmen.
What is a Complete Shell and What Comes With It?
A complete shell is an uninsulated building. As a kit, it includes everything required to assemble the building including hardware, precut framing, siding and roofing as well as doors and windows. Hardware, millwork sheathing and DIY plans have been enclosed. Each piece is color coded and part numbered. The exact itemization of what is inserted can be found on the specifications tab of the website for each product page design.
What is the difference between a 3-Season and 4-Season Insulation package?
3-Season –A three-season kit prepares the building for interior finishing. It includes the complete shell plus vapor barrier, solid roof sheathing and insulated floor system. A three season building seals the structure from humidity and moisture protecting from the environment, insects and rodents.
4-Season – Best for year-round comfort. The package includes everything a 3 season does with the addition of insulated thermal pane millwork, wall and roof insulation and pine interior sheathing.
Can I Customize My Building?
Yes! When you purchase your building, you have the option to pick siding, roofing, and flooring options to upgrade or modify your building. Read more about what options we offer.
If you are looking for some very special customizations to one of our buildings, our cottage designers can help. Contact our custom shop team to build a bespoke cottage.
How Can I Pay? Do You Offer Financing?
We accept Master Card, American Express, Discover Card and Visa, Cash, Personal Check, Financing, ACH transfers, Wire transfers, and PayPal. There are so many ways to purchase your dream cottage!
We also offer easy financing options, including a 50% now, 50% later option. See financing page.